I was reading my Bible last night, and this passage really stood out to me. It's from John 8:31-38.
'So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are truly My disciples, and you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."
They answered Him, "We are offspring of Abraham and have never been enslaved to anyone. How is it that you say, 'You will become free'?"
Jesus answered them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
I know that you are offspring of Abraham; yet you seek to kill Me because My word finds no place in you. I speak of what I have seen with my Father, and you do what you have heard from your father."'
How amazing are these verses?!
Everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin.
Some of us might think, you know what? I'm a pretty good person. I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, I'm nice to my mom. I'm sorry, but no. There are some sins that people can see (such as doing drugs and smoking), but there are also other sins that no one can see but God..the ones that are hidden in the dark corners of your heart. Sins such as pride, jealousy, and selfishness. No matter how good we may think we are, we are all sinners.
Also, you might be on the other side of the coin. You might be struggling with addiction. You've tried to quit so many times, but it's just so hard, and you keep going back. Or, you've been struggling with a particular sin in your life, and you can't seem to get rid of it on your own. You're in chains.
The amazing thing about this passage is that it doesn't matter what sin you're struggling with or what kind of chain you have (everyone has a different chain), there is power in the name of Jesus..and He can set you free!
In my own life, I struggled with fear for many years. Years ago, people who were very close to me died very suddenly, and also very tragically. Their deaths had a huge impact on me- I became crippled with fear. Every time my mom went to the grocery store, I'd fear that she would get into a car accident and I'd never see her again. Fear had a grip on me. I was in chains.
Then, one day, I decided to open my Bible and I told God, here's Your chance to speak to me. And He did!
Through several passages of Scripture, God showed me that He is the Giver of Life, the Creator of all things, He is powerful and mighty, and Sovereign.
(These are some of the passages: 1 Samuel 5:1-5; 2 Kings 6:8-23; Daniel 1:4,17-20, ch 3+6).
God loosened my chains and set me free. Praise God!
When I went to Cambodia in the summer of 2011, I was teaching Bible class one day on the subject of fear. I asked the kids in my class, what is something they fear. I got all sorts of answers- snakes, spiders, heights. But one boy said he was scared of evil spirits (which is not uncommon in Cambodia. Many believe in evil spirits there). God, after working in my heart and life, and after setting me free, had given me the opportunity to fly across the world to Cambodia, and share with this little boy that he doesn't have to fear evil spirits, because there is One who is Greater and more Powerful than any evil spirit- and that is the One True God, my Savior Jesus Christ.
Today, I just want you to be encouraged. There is power in the name of Jesus. Jesus can break any chain and set you free!
Jesus said that anyone who practices sin is a slave to sin...but He also said that He can set you free. Abide in the truth, and the truth will set you free. My friends, Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He will set you free.
Be blessed,
Anna
I was thinking about the verses I read last night, today, and this song came to mind. So fitting.


Wow, very good message, you really know your stuff, and are very encouraging, keep doing what you are doing, and God will bless you, and He will use what you are doing for His kingdom !
ReplyDeletethank you so much for the encouragement! =)
Delete